What to Do After a Flood – Understanding the Claim Process
Now more than ever, you will appreciate the decision you made to purchase flood insurance. Floods are stressful for everyone involved and you should be prepared for what to expect during the claims process.
Cleaning Up After the Flood
- Help prevent mold by removing wet contents immediately. Saturated carpeting, stuffed furniture, bedding, and any other items holding dampness, moisture or water inside should be removed – but samples saved.
- Walls, floors, doors, closets, and shelves should be thoroughly washed and disinfected to help avoid mold.
- Thoroughly dry out the home or business interior using a portable dehumidifier. Your air conditioner can also be used to start the drying process.
- If the walls are damaged, take photographs of the baseboard, then remove it. Knock small holes at floor level in the drywall between the wall studs to permit moisture trapped behind the drywall to seep out and begin drying.
- Have your furnace and hot water heater checked for damage. While they may seem to work, the floodwater may have damaged internal elements.
Managing the Repair Process
Most claims are settled within 30 to 60 days of the filings. Repairs however, will probably take longer than this, so it is important to be attentive during the process to make sure you are getting a quality job at a fair price.
- For major repairs, get a minimum of three estimates. Don’t hesitate to question the contractors on variations in pricing.
- Make sure all estimates provide work details, give a fixed price, and are signed.
- Never proceed with repairs on the basis of basis of a verbal agreement.
- Natural disasters attract unqualified contractors looking to work cheaply for cash. Ask for state licenses and references including names and phone numbers, and take the time to call them.
File Your Claim
See various options below.
Selective Insurance Company – Report directly to the company or to Boynton & Boynton as per below
- Selective Phone: (877) 348-0552
- Selective Fax: (877) 647-1798
- Email: email@example.com
- Online: www.myselective.com
Hartford Insurance Company – Report directly to the company or to Boynton & Boynton as per below
- Hartford Phone: (800) 787-5677
All Other Insurance Carriers – Report to Boynton & Boynton
- Boynton & Boynton Phone: (800) 822-0262
- Boynton & Boynton Fax: (732) 530-4220
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online: www.boyntonandboynton.com